Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sweet Surrender or "The Mutant Squirrel started it"

Blogging was not something I was aspiring to.

To whom would I be addressing these "posts" anyway? I am generally not a "sharer". I don't have very many close friendships. I do write cryptic, stream-of-consciousness poetry that would probably be considered quite mediocre... unless perhaps it was discovered to be composed by some underground beatnik revolutionary. Or maybe a trendy modern starlet, "Who knew she was this DEEP?"

Last year Thor showed me an article that argued how Google searches, blogs and community websites are ways that we are letting ourselves be tracked by powerful conglomerates/illuminati that want to sell us stuff and/or restrict our freedom to buy stuff... or something. It sounded bad. But then I thought about how I always agree to answering telemarketing/research companies questions; in part so that they will actually find out what really is important to some of us. Maybe they will eventually stop over packaging over-rated useless things (bought any kids TOYS lately?)

But I digress. It is Earth Day.

So back to the squirrel.

About a week ago I was looking longingly into the back 40 when along the fence came a-hopping, a squirrel that seemed vaguely familiar except for the fact that he was half-NAKED. I mean that he was top-less -- fur-less in his upper squirrelitudes to be exact. My jar dropped and my brow furrowed. And I wondered... the usual wherefore and how tos. And then I realized that short of canvassing the neighborhood with the sad mutant squirrel story, I would never know exactly what had happened to him. I can surmise that he may have been carried gently to a local veterinarian after a serious pet attack, Fido's owner feeling guilty enough to have Squirrel patched up and released back into the 'hood.

But the point of the tail, er... tale, is merely this; funny, weird, little things happen and big important things happen every day. What we experience daily and what we hear on the news all add up to life on earth. All these stories deserve to be told in one way or another. Why not muse into cyberspace about the juxtaposition of the ridiculous and the sublime... I argue that some day we may not know which is which.

No comments: